Comments to: Toxic Teflon Frying Pans

Posted on June 18, 2004, 10:57 pm
by Rod Nicholson

You Bet. I killed off a bird every weekend. It turned out that my pancake making endeavors were the cause and yes, I used a teflon coated large cooking pan. I darn near killed off a 3rd bird, but luckily discovered the cause. My cooking. And to think that I've been duped (or would that be duponted) all these years. Hoy!. Anyway, its, out with the teflon for good

Posted on December 30, 2004, 2:33 pm
by Bridget Stack

Yesterday on December 29 of 2004 my Mothers birds were killed because she used a FARBERWARE TEFLON FRYING PAN to grill a hard roll, and the fumes KILLED ALL OF HER BIRDS!!!! The frying pan WAS NOT overheated,or scorched in any way whatsoever. The birds were in the LIVING ROOM, not the kitchen, and THERE WAS NO SIGNIFICANT Warning on the labeling of the cookware to signify that using this frying pan could or would harm anything muchless kill! The warning label on the pans my Mother purchased read, and I quote "GENERAL SAFETY: Keep small children away from the stove while you are cooking. Be careful around the stove as heat, steam and splatter can cause burns. Some pets, especially birds, have extremely sensitive respritory systems and should be kept away from the kitchen." These were NOT OLD PANS EITHER....In fact, they were BRAND NEW, purchased about 2 weeks prior to Dec. 29th at our local Wal-Mart and used for the very first time on the 29th of December. ...AND YES, THIS IS THE ONLY WARNING AT ALL....Talk about NEGLIGENCE!!!! Call me ignorant, but I have NEVER heard of anything similiar to this happening before this happened and I began to research it. I watch the news often, but to the best of my knowledge there has never been a large public media announcement or product recalls. This is an issue which should be NATIONALLY, no, scratch that, INTERNATIONALLY covered by some Huge media resource such as CNN. I don't mean my mothers case directly, but these issues in general. When will companies begin to act with MORALE and ETHICAL REPONSIBILITY? I'll tell you when, Once the CONSUMERS have had ENOUGH. I mean, I understand that MOST INDIVIDUALS are not going to purchase a product to cook their food in that states the truth. The warning labels should be LARGE and VISIBLE and STATE: "USING THIS PRODUCT CREATES TOXIC FUMES THAT CAN KILL YOUR PETS (especially birds) AND MAYBE HARM YOU OVERTIME." Because that is the TRUTH. If a product is that dangerous, which it IS, doesn't the public deserve to have that information READILY accessible so that they as the individual can decide whether or not they want to use this product in their household? Did I mention, that the "Warning" if that's what you can even call it, was printed in VERY TINY MICROPRINT on the BACK of the label, where it is IMPOSSIBLE to be viewed until AFYTER YOU PURCHASE THIS PRODUCT and bring it home and open it.
Well, needless to say I am VERY ANGRY. My poor mother has been up ALL NIGHT SOBBING OVER the loss of her Beloved pet birds, one of which was almost 21 years old, and a DEAR COMPANION to her. How can a company rectify such negligence? Pay for the birds that were killed? What about the heart break my mother is going through? What about the SUFFERING those birds must have endured while dying from those toxic fumes? What about the mis-labeling or lack of proper warning on this product that led to this situation? I can only imagine that there must be hundreds, maybe even thousands more out there that have had this happen. Our hearts go out to everyone that has had a similiar situation to this. This is yet another example of the glitches in our wonderful CORPORATE AMERICA....Where is Erin Brockovich? She is one individual who could show these people what they need to learn!

Posted on January 6, 2005, 5:32 am
by Virginia

I have a question more than a comment. I received a nice titanium Cuisinart pot and pan set for Christmans. Is anyone aware of any health risks involved with the non-stick pans made with Titanium?

Posted on February 15, 2005, 12:08 am
by Michael

I also am interested in the titanium. However, I dont recall titanium being black? Im trying to find out, so far without sucess, if they are using teflon with the titanium. some call it titanium protected. My suspicion, which I hope is wrong, is that they are using titanum which is pocketed like with moon craters, and teflon in the craters on a microscopic level. IF this is the case, the telfon will act as non stick but the titanium will protect the teflon from being scraped off. If anyone knows if this is the case, let me know

Posted on March 2, 2005, 1:25 am
by phillip youngman

As far as I ca find out Titanium cookwear is the safest of all. My very heavy pans with glass tops (made in Germany) are excellent. The entire pans can be put in the oven.
Phillip

Posted on March 3, 2005, 10:38 am
by Andy Johnson

I agree teflon is nasty stuff if you get a chance check out the report by Enviromental Working Group, it's an eye opener. As for pans I switched to Royal Prestige they are a multi-ply stainless steel. I sleep a lot better knowing that non-stick crap is out of my house and away from my kids.

Posted on March 13, 2005, 11:29 pm
by Michelle

So what is the healthiest pan to cook with? I heard its glass, but is there such a thing as a glass frying pan?

Posted on March 22, 2005, 2:44 am
by d'anna

There used to be. It was made by Visionware. I have a small set of sauce pans and a small frying pan like for omelets.I cannot find a big one now anywhere.
E-mail me if you find one.

Posted on July 24, 2005, 4:45 pm
by Sepp

RACHEL'S ENVIRONMENT & HEALTH NEWS #822 - http://www.rachel.org - July 21, 2005

Corporate suppression of data is now so routine that no one raises an eyebrow. In the wake of an EPA advisory panel classifying the Teflon chemical C8 (ammonium perfluorooctanoate, or PFOA) as a "likely carcinogen," reporter Ken Ward Jr. of the Charleston (W.Va.) Gazette learned that in 1981 DuPont initiated a study to learn whether exposure to C8 caused birth defects in the children of Teflon factory workers. When the study found an excess of birth defects in the children, the study was abandoned and the results filed away without notifying the federal government. Under the Toxic Substances Control Act (TSCA) companies must tell the EPA when they find information "that reasonably supports the conclusion that [a chemical] presents a substantial risk of injury to health."

Posted on August 4, 2005, 7:13 am
by margie lodovico

will you consider Le creuset as safest cookware,since,glass cookware is too difficult to find,how about rice cooker?it has an aluminun pan insert,is there an alternative product to that?
thanks

Posted on November 23, 2005, 6:34 pm
by leola lamarche

we are interested in titanium cookware, did anyone do the research? are they safe, any toxic componds, are they painted? I have birds and love them dearly, but my family is of most concerns to me.

Posted on December 17, 2005, 4:57 pm
by Sandy Treutler

I too was leaning toward glass cookware simply because it seems least polluted. Then I found a Gov't of Canada website (http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/iyh-vsv/prod/cook-cuisinier_e.html) that states some glass cookware contains lead and cadmium, both evil words in any honest food lexicon.

What a mess. Can anyone help?

Posted on January 11, 2006, 10:29 am
by Laurelle Gordon

I would like to know where to get the haudguss made in Germany titanium frying pans and saucepans from in Australia. Would anyone be able to help me????

Many thanks
Laurelle

Posted on January 17, 2006, 6:45 pm
by Lucille Nawara

Laurelle,
We just bought a titanium ceramic (over aluminum) 12" Pro-HG saute pan and separate steel lid manufactured by Vollrath (WI,USA), sold by Ameriware, at Costco, by a salesman who shows up there 2x a year. We've only used it for a week, but like the way it cooks and cleans up.

Posted on January 29, 2006, 4:33 pm
by cheryl

Look into the cookware at costco it contains a teflon generic - same stuff - google it and you will see - i bought a set this last week and brought them back before using them to cook for my 5 children - oh yeah titanium dust can be deadly as well

Posted on February 4, 2006, 10:06 pm
by Sepp

A post on AlterNet, found on the Alternative Medicine Forum:

DuPont running scared?

Posted by Matthew Wheeland at 3:05 PM on February 3, 2006.

The makers of Teflon seem to be defensive about something...

After this week's glut of news about the health risks of everyone's favorite non-stick coating (and Mafia nickname), DuPont, the makers of Teflon have launched a massive defensive ad campaign.

On page A5 of today's New York Times, better placement than, say, the news that every part of the country was much warmer than usual, the full-page ad features a pan with the heading "Teflon (R) Non-Stick Coating is Safe" in enormous type.

Forgive me for not believing the international chemical conglomerate, but I'll go instead with the Green Guide's recommendations for stainless steel and cast-iron pots and pans.

Heck, if it was good enough for Grizzly Adams, it's good enough for me and mine....

Matthew Wheeland is AlterNet's managing editor.

Posted on February 5, 2006, 5:14 pm
by Walter

I purchased the "Vollrath (WI,USA), sold by Ameriware, at Costco" about two weeks ago which is everything that the salesperson said ie cleanup and cooking, however, after reading about Teflon and Dupont I am concerned about safety of Vollrath. Does anyone know if this cookware emits PFOA gas like Teflon?

Posted on February 5, 2006, 6:03 pm
by Brad

Anyone know where I can buy soapstone fryingpans? They were used in the late 1800's on cast iron stoves and are supposedly a natural non-stick surface. I'd like to get my hands on a couple of these!

Posted on February 6, 2006, 5:33 pm
by Maria

You can buy haudgass through Young Living Essential Oils at: www.shopYL.com

I have the large pan & absolutely love it!!

Posted on February 11, 2006, 8:44 pm
by Monnie

you can get soapstone products thru greenfeet.com and goldminenaturalfood.com

I have not cooked with them but I have seen and held them.
they are beautiful and very heavy!

Posted on February 24, 2006, 7:01 pm
by Mike Daoust

I would just like to mention about a week ago my mom fired up her broiler, she didnt realize there was a teflon cookie sheet in it.
she came back to see if everything was pre heated and the fumes were so bad she described it as having the breath sucked from her body. She actually had to go do the doctor. the doctor just said she had pneumonia symptoms.

im about to toss my expensive set of pans.

Posted on April 14, 2006, 7:55 am
by Phil Maloy

Come on folks...PFOA is dangerous but there is no PFOA in Teflon. PFOA is a byproduct of the manufacturing process for creating Teflon for pans and is not present once the manufacturing process is complete. Do a little more research and stop paying tribute to the class-action lawsuit lawyers.

The fact of the matter is the class-action law suit is about hiding information and NOT about the chemicals, which are not even present in Teflon, being harmful. Yes, they shouldn't have shuffled the information away. But the information they hid wasn't about the use of Teflon, it was about making Teflon.

In addition, if you pay attention the information about those harmed by PFOA they aren't about the average individual cooking in their kitchen, it is about Dupont employees, who are exposed to the PFOA as part of the Teflon manufacturing process.

And the bird issue...puleeze. Small birds are hyper sensitive to almost any chemical fume. For instance, try burning some milk in your kitchen with polly on your shoulder...the fumes from the burning milk will probably kill the bird.

Let's not jump to conclusions. We as americans, who have an obesity rate of 65% of the population, have a lot more to worry about from eating poorly than what we do from what we cook with. Teflon isn't among the top 5 killers of American...try heart disease and cancer, as just 2 examples, that are both directly related to diet and not Teflon.

Posted on April 17, 2006, 3:46 pm
by Gary

Do you know where I can reach HaudGuss for replacement of my pan, which at the time of purchase, was claimed to have a life time warranty .

Please let me know by my email - many thanks in advance.

garychen [at] gmail.com

Posted on May 2, 2006, 6:17 am
by Kim

I also need to know where to send my crappy frying pan with the lifetime warranty that my crazy husband paid a mint for.
It cannot be cleaned...maybe its just my cooking.

Posted on May 4, 2006, 2:42 am
by Veronica

Does anyone know the health concerns of cooking with Titanium objects like Scanpan? I know many people think they are great because of their non-stick properties, but I am concerned about dangerous fumes. Could anyone direct me to any report or study about this?

Posted on May 16, 2006, 3:33 am
by Scott

Just bought the Costco pan set,the nice man said the nonstick surface contained no teflon, only ceramic and titanium...wrong! Where is the nonstick property in these two elements? It has to be a generic name teflon. I was duped, I'm returning them and going back to my good old fashioned cast iron skillet. Just apply a little olive oil, keep the heat low,and those eggs will slide right off onto your plate,plus...no more iron supplements! Just clean with a little salt and a stiff brush,then apply a thin coat of veg oil over surface before putting away.

Posted on May 20, 2006, 8:16 am
by Jack

I am considering the purchase of a Thermadore professional stove top range that has a titanium gridle and grill. Is this safe? Are fumes emitted from the titanium when heated toxic? Please write to me at celsiusgroup@yahoo.com. Much appreciated.

Posted on May 24, 2006, 7:54 am
by Angie

i just purshased a new hair ceramic straightener...what i didn't notice was that it it was teflon coated. IS there any risks invovled using the straightener and can it produced fumes at 200 degrees?

Posted on June 27, 2006, 8:53 am
by james wood

i just wanted to pass along this comment. i was cooking
cabbage in an all aluminum pressure cooker, was distracted out of the house, upon returning discovered my
blue & gold macaw coughing & acting listless. rushed him to vet, but it was too late. vet said his lungs were filled with blood,signs that
indicated toxic poisoning as
from non-stick products. my
pressure was by MIRRO, all aluminum, with a black exterior (assumed to be paint). has any one else experienced a similar situation? please contact me
at jwood0538@hotmail.com

Posted on July 26, 2006, 11:13 am
by TERRY L. CARPENTER

want in all class action lawsuits including teflon coated pans or anything teflon. thank you

Posted on January 21, 2007, 2:09 pm
by thulsi crosina

Check out www.activeconcepts.ca/Default.aspx?PageID=52

it describes Nanotechnology used in the manufacture of non-stick titanium pans.

Then go to www.upperside.fr/nanotoxicity2007/nanotoxicity2007intro.htm

all seems too new a science still being closely watched . Don't fall for the hype. Don't be their guinea pigs, whilst making them rich. Its your life in question
Best to stick to the simplest methods that only time has proven safe.

Posted on February 5, 2007, 1:56 pm
by Marilayne Liba

I have located a distributor for haudguss but would like to locate the german company. the distributor is in canada and has a website at www.davidkaiser.net
the cookware performs but I still have not found any information as to health risks.

Posted on February 7, 2007, 2:12 am
by marilayne

it is not haudguss, but handguss which is german for handcrafted, I have contacted the distributor and am researching any information related to health risks.

Posted on February 13, 2007, 12:10 am
by Lucy Johnston

Well now Costco has those Ameriware pots and pans here in Western Canada.. I have read all the above comments after I bought it and thinkng of returning re the generic teflon remarks..they are clear in their marketing that it is "teflon free". anything further developed in research or info to help me with my decsion is very mcuh appreciated.. cant do stainless steel re my nickel allergy.. sounds like le creust is safe ?? enamel on iron ?. thanks .

Posted on February 15, 2007, 2:01 pm
by Bob

Titanium is the best way to go. www.scanpancookware.com. This is just one of the brands out there but they come with a lifetime warranty. Swiss Diamond is another good one. I bought my first titanium covered pan at a trade show and I'm sure I paid way too much. It's about 4 years old now and still non stick.

Posted on March 3, 2007, 4:51 pm
by Angela Vickers

Here is proof that Swiss Diamond is a FRAUD.
The nano-composite non-stick cooking surface is made primarily with PTFE, the chemical known as Teflon.
"Teflon" is a trade mark name owned by DUPONT.

Posted on March 27, 2007, 1:57 pm
by Shannon

To Phil (if he is still following this posting): I would just like to comment that, yes, most of these reports are from people who have worked at the plants that make these teflon pans....BUT, you also mention that the highest causes of death is cancer. Well, there are multiple things that cause cancer....yes, eating well and not smoking will prevent cancer...among a lot of other things. But do you know what else you could do to avoid cancer? Stop eating out of those teflon pans!

I am not sure how safe the titanium ones are but another option is an enamel coated cast iron. I would think corningware is safe too. I think that there are a lot of things that add up to cause cancer. I just believe that if we can even reduce some of them...our children will be at least a little bit healthier. We only have one body, why not take care of it?

Posted on April 24, 2007, 3:27 pm
by Denise

Had to add my two cents to both Phil's and Shannon's comments. I think it is well worth noting that although the health risk of cooking with Teflon, or PTFE, is perhaps debatable there is no debating the environmental impact of producing our non-stick pans. The slurry that is used is carcinogenic, as Shannon notes, and its pervasiveness in the atmosphere is only beginning to be understood! Although we may choose not to use PTFE pots & pans, we can't choose to inhabit another atmosphere! (More's the pity) The manufacturing of Teflon is a risk to all of our health!

Posted on June 17, 2007, 2:23 pm
by Barbara Morgan

What about PRO-HG ceramic coated Platinum series cookware sold at Del Mar Fair???

Posted on September 2, 2007, 10:47 am
by Rita

I can find everything but soapstone frying pans which is what I'd like. Please email me if you know where to find them at riconneL8@toast.net Thanks

Posted on February 3, 2008, 9:44 pm
by leola lamarche

I purchased a set of titanium cookware in nov. 2005. Now the frying pan stick, and I can't seen to restore it back to the original non stick cooking it once had new. I use my pans a lot, now back to using cast iron, the other titanium pots are all ok, satisfied but really, I paid way tooo much money for the value. Careful with this, the coating does end up sticking, or does someone have a way to restore it, please notify me. thanks
leola

Posted on June 18, 2008, 9:36 am
by Alexa Fleckenstein M.D.

Very interesting compilation!

Alexa Fleckenstein M.D., physician, author.

Posted on June 27, 2008, 6:39 pm
by Don Herget

Pro HG cookware is CRAP I bought a set about 6 yrs ago and the two pans that I use all the time the coating has come off and food sticks really. Although there is a 25 yr warranty it's just not worth my time to send them back to Wisconsin. Save your money and don't buy these pans there not worth it. Now I'm going out to buy a good set of all stainless cookware. I am just tired af wasting money on these coated pans. DON'T BUY PRO HG PANS THEY ARE A RIP OFF!!!!!!!!!!

Posted on August 7, 2008, 2:25 am
by Hank

I have had the pro-hg stuff for 8 months and i really like it. It cooks very well. The bottoms get dirty but i don't cook food on the bottom of my pans. It's way better than the cheap crap i had before. I still use my all-clad stainless as well. Both are great.

Posted on August 25, 2008, 3:43 pm
by aracely

my mom bought some haudguss pots and pan and gave me two, they are the WORST PANS i have ever used and i am so mad that she spent all that money on them, they stick, something is coming off from them,its disgusting. We live in Alberta, Canada does anyone know where i can to get something done about this

Posted on December 17, 2008, 3:56 pm
by Joe

I bought some of the Handguss pans several years ago and I am going to get my daughter some for Christmas. The best cleaning method I have found is, after dinner I put about 1/3 cup of water in the pan and put it back on the stove top. When it starts to boil I just wipe it out with a paper towel. Never had to do more then that. I know that they do scratch if you use metal utensils but if you clean them while they are hot they release any food stuff stuck on.

Posted on January 26, 2009, 6:22 pm
by Kristin

We have just gotten off the phone with the company who manufactures the coating for Pro-HG pans for Vollrath.

They openly admitted that the structure of the pans is ceramic and titanium as the sales reps will tell you, while the coating is PTFE (plastic) which emits PFOA (toxic gases) the same as Teflon, just a different brand name.

Like many of you, we bought this expensive Pro-HG pan purported to be a safe, ceramic pan. Don't buy Vollrath!

If anyone knows of a class action lawsuit against this company for false advertising and health risks, please post here to let me know. We are preparing a letter to our state attorney's general office and the Vollrath and Cook's Warehouse companies. Please post here if you would like me to include your name.

Also, please call the man who makes the plastic coating: 818-556-2740 Howard Teichman at Cooks Warehouse (the manufacturer) and express your complaints about the crooks selling you "safe" toxic cookware. He was not pleasant on the phone and considered these health concerns to be a laughing matter. I think some more phone calls from concerned consumers would do him good.

Posted on February 5, 2009, 11:11 am
by Trent

I have a set of Pro HG pans that are the opposite of non-stick. They were a gift in 2003 and at the time I didn't care about the health risks. Now things are different and I am very interested in the risks and I am tired of having to sift bs to find what may or may not be true.

Kristin, I am interested in what you find out about this issue and I will surely give your friend Howard a call.

Posted on March 16, 2009, 7:28 pm
by Michael De Paulo

Kristen says:

"Also, please call the man who makes the plastic coating: 818-556-2740 Howard Teichman at Cooks Warehouse (the manufacturer) and express your complaints about the crooks selling you "safe" toxic cookware. He was not pleasant on the phone and considered these health concerns to be a laughing matter."

Howard laughed at you because you are an idiot. Cook's Warehouse is just that--a warehouse! They sell cookware to restaurants and sell the Pro-HG series (a Vollrath product) at fairs, home shows, etc. There is NO Teflon in the Pro-HG pans!

Now that that is said, ALL non-stick pans have some type of PFC--like PTFE (Teflon)--in them. The concern is with PFOA--specifically with c8 of PFOA. PFOA is not present in the Pro-HG series. PFOA boils at 189 degrees centigrade and the Pro-HG finish is baked on at 400 degrees centigrade. Even if there were PFOA's to begin with (there are not), they would boil away during the manufacturing process.

Pro-HG pans (and their slightly less expensive and cheaper made cousins Ameriware from Costco) are the ONLY non-stick pans certified for use in restaurants by the NSF. The reason is they do not start out with any PFOA and there is no PFOA present in the final product.

We (us professional chefs and cooks) use Vollrath pots and pans all the time (Vollrath is in over 80 of US restaurants). Pro-HG and other versions of this non-stick system ave been used to cook food you've eaten; I guarantee it! Probably far more often than you know! Do some REAL research instead of dumping some left-wing liberal rant that's as uninformed as most of the global warming crap that's going around.

Posted on June 25, 2009, 4:28 pm
by Danalyn Merino

Just found out about some bake ware and cook ware through Dr. Mercola. It is non-reactive. Price may seem high to some, but seems reasonable to me. It has a fifty-year guarantee. I will save up my money to get it, and get rid of what I currently have. My family's health and well-being is worth it.

Here's the info for it:

Best health to you, Danalyn Merino

Posted on February 2, 2011, 2:37 pm
by Lucille P. Nawara

I would like to rescind my letter to Laurelle that is above, written on Jan. 17,2006 regarding our Ameriware non-stick frying pan that we bought at Costco. The pan has not gotten scratched in the 4 years we've used it, but the reason we bought that was because the salesman/demonstrator said it didn't have Teflon or Teflon ingredients, but we learned last year that that was a lie, that this is no better. We feel duped.

Posted on February 5, 2011, 4:34 am
by Sepp

Lucille,

I will let both of your comments stand if that is ok with you.

Meanwhile, here in Italy (and I guess in other EU countries) there is a new type of pan being phased in, as the old teflon stuff is being phased out.

We are now having ceramic covering (light cream white coloring) over aluminium pans. They do not contain any teflon or teflon ingredients. Somehow the message must have gotten through to the manufacturers and they are offering non toxic pans now...

Just as an example of what I am talking about

but, as always, do your own research on what best suits your needs.

Posted on August 27, 2011, 8:18 am
by markuspaul

Many of us have cookware with Teflon coating and you will definitely want to get rid of it after reading this. Polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE) is the chemical, which makes things “non-stick.?? According to some advisers to the EPA it should be classified as a carcinogen (cancer-causing substance). But instead of banning it, the EPA has decided that the companies using Teflon should make it less likely to break down and they have until 2015 to do so.

Posted on October 24, 2011, 4:30 am
by Brian Cox

While buying a non stick cookware, the first thing that needs to be checked is the coating which is used.Non stick cookwares coated with Teflon is harmful for Human Body. It has a substance called Carcinogen which can initiate cancer. There are several coating which are 100 natural.Ecolon is one of them. Neoflam is manufacturing non stick cookwares coated with Ecolon.