Contrary to the Rhetoric Water Fluoridation Damages Teeth & Health
At 08:53 PM 13/03/2007, Laurel Flaccavento wrote:
Chris, what about tooth decay...the dental community certainly touts this. I must say children have far fewer cavities in this day and age. Laurel (Of course cavities seem preferable to cancer!!)
Laurel, fluoride actually damages teeth it is only useful as a disinfectant when used topically to kill mouth bacteria that can cause caries. For that one can use Iodine a much safer substance, which unlike Fluoride, is essential for health. In fact Fluoride actually completes with Iodine leading to Iodine deficiency. This has been amply shown in dog studies. Dogs drinking fluoridated water developed gout. Iodine deficiency also affects the thyroid adversely and low thyroid is directly related to breast cancer...
For more see:
Ingesting Fluoride via water and foods is a sure way to bone disease, including Osteosarcoma (bone cancer) bone fractures and skeletal fluorosis and this starts with teeth. Contrary to the dental profession, who in the main have no toxicology education and only superficial medical knowledge on Fluoride, molted teeth from the fluoridation of water is not just a cosmetic effect. It is - de facto proof of bone damage. In the British Medical Journal (B.M.J.), October 7, 2000 it is reported that 48% of children who live in fluoridated communities have developed dental fluorosis due to fluoride overdose. Now then, if the bone is damaged how are you going to get fewer cavities? This demonstrates that ingesting of fluoridated water to reduce tooth decay is clearly a myth. In fact it may very well be actually countering the benefits of topical applications!
As if this was not enough Fluoride has nurological effects such as IQ's of our children. Talk about child abuse....
Fewer cavities has been a general trend and there is less decay now than 40 years ago regardless of Fluoridated water! In fact tooth and gum health improves when it is removed from water as per the following articles.... Even topically one ends up ingesting some.
Fluoridated enamel has microscopic fissures that allow acids to penetrate the dentin once inside, the dentin dissolves creating decay under the enamel. Hence, defects in the fissure walls can lead to dentin caries with NO enamel decalcification which can't be diagnosed with an explorer or Caries Detection Dye (CDD). These caries are called Fluoride bombs.
Fluoride Bombs and fluorosis are a boon for dentists, and water Fluoridation is a mistake that the establishment can't admit to. This situation is exploited to the hilt by the Fluoride industry which disposes this poison through our water instead of proper but costly safe disposal.
For more on this listen to a 33 minute Podcast with Dr. Bill Osmunson here
See also: Food, Not Fluoride, Reduces Cavities
When several regions in the former East Germany halted the artificial fluoridation of their water, they braced themselves for an expected rise in dental caries (cavities). However, as it turns out, they needn't have worried at all, since dental decay rates actually WENT DOWN.
Although this outcome would seem contrary to commonly held beliefs, researchers hypothesize that the broader availability and application of preventive measures such as fluoride toothpaste, as well as improvements in attitudes towards oral health behavior.
According to researchers, following the cessation of public water fluoridation, " ... a significant fall in caries prevalence was observed. This trend corresponded to the national caries decline and appeared to be a new population-wide phenomenon."
In other words, cavity rates are coming down throughout Germany, irrelevant to whether or not the water is fluoridated.
* Researchers studied more than 15,000 children in the formerly fluoridated German towns of Spremberg and Zittau.
* Children had been examined repeatedly over the last 20 years.
* Caries levels for 12-year-old children significantly decreased during the years 1993 through 1996.
* DMFT fell from 2.36 to 1.45 (38.5%) in Spremberg and from 2.47 to 1.96 (20.6%) in Zittau.
According to the study, the results provide " ... further support for the contention that caries prevalence may continue to fall after the reduction of fluoride concentration in the water supply from about 1 ppm to below 0.2 ppm F."
The authors not that similar findings have been reported following the removal of fluoridation programs in the towns of Chemnitz and Plauen.
They also note that the average DMFT of 1.81 for the 12-year-old children in the 4 fluoride-free towns " ... is the lowest observed in East Germany during the past 40 years".
Community Dentistry and Oral Epidemiology October 2000; 28: 382-9
Fluoride May Not Prevent Cavities, and Can Cause Health Problems, Including Thyroid Concerns
New York State Coalition Opposed to Fluoridation, Inc. / Fluoride Action Network 24jan01
Cavity rates declined in several cities that stopped water fluoridation, new studies report, contradicting American Dental Association (ADA) predictions, according to Fluoride Action Network.
Fluoride added to over 62% of US water supplies is supposed to reduce tooth decay but these six studies from dental journals show it hasn't and, in fact, may have increased the likelihood of rotten choppers.
* "No increase in caries (cavities) was found in Kuopio (Finland) 3 years after the discontinuation of water fluoridation," according to Caries Research (1). In fact, when Kuopio was compared to a similar never fluoridated Finnish town, cavity rates in both towns either remained the same or decreased six years after fluoridation was stopped in Kuopio.
* Seven years after fluoridation ended in LaSalud, Cuba, cavities remained low in 6 to 9 year olds, decreased in 10 to 11 year-olds, significantly decreased in 12 to 13 year olds, while caries-free children increased dramatically, reports Caries Research (2).
* East German scientists report, "following the cessation of water fluoridation in the cities Chemnitz (formerly Karl-Marx-Stadt) and Plauen, a significant fall in caries prevalence was observed," according to Community Dentistry and Oral Epidemiology (3). Additional surveys in the formerly-fluoridated towns of Spremberg and Zittau found. "Caries levels for the 12-year-olds of both towns significantly decreased... following the cessation of water fluoridation."
* Not only did decay rates remain stable during an 11-month fluoridation break in Durham, NC, between September, 1990, and August, 1991 but dental fluorosis declined in children born during that period, according to the Journal of Dental Research (4)
In British Columbia, Canada, "the prevalence of caries decreased over time in the fluoridation-ended community while remaining unchanged in the fluoridated community," reported in Community Dentistry and Oral Epidemiology. (5)
In 1973, the Dutch town of Tiel stopped fluoridation. Researchers counted drilled, missing, and filled tooth surfaces (DMFS) of Tiel's 15-year olds, then collected identical data from never-fluoridated Culemborg. DMFS initially increased in Tiel then dipped to 11% of baseline from 1968/69 to 1987/88 while never-fluoridated Culemborg's 15-year-olds had 72% less cavities over the same period, reports Caries Research. (6)
A recently released government report out of Canada (7) shows similar negative results and offers a reason.
Fluoridation was launched in the 1940's when dentists believed fluoride's beneficial effects were achieved internally, through the bloodstream then absorbed inside the teeth. The Canadians report that ``this effect is likely to be minor...The evidence for a post-eruptive (topical) effect,... is much stronger.''
Therefore, swallowing fluoride doesn't reduce tooth decay but does cause dental fluorosis -- white spotted, yellow or brown stained and sometimes pitted teeth.
According to the ADA's website ``Dental decay can be expected to increase if water fluoridation in a community is discontinued for one year or more, even if topical products such as fluoride toothpaste and fluoride rinses are widely used.''
``Well, science proves the ADA is wrong about the claimed benefits of water fluoridation and they are wrong about the safety of water fluoridation, too'' says lawyer Paul Beeber, President, New York State Coalition Opposed to Fluoridation. ``Studies have linked fluoridation chemicals to increased blood lead levels, neurological defects, brittle bones, thyroid cancer and more,'' says Beeber. ``It's time for the media to challenge the science that supports water fluoridation and present the truth to the public. We've made it easy for the media to access the medline abstracts via the links below. No more excuses.''
Other US government studies and statistics support the findings of these six studies and the Canadian government report. For example, children in fluoridated-since-1945 Newburgh, New York, have no less tooth decay but significantly more dental fluorosis than children from never-fluoridated Kingston, New York, according to Community Dentistry and Oral Epidemiology June 1999.
(1) ``Caries trends 1992-1998 in two low-fluoride Finnish towns formerly with and without fluoridation,`` Caries Research, Nov-Dec 2000 -- Reference
(2) ``Caries prevalence after cessation of water fluoridation in LaSalud, Cuba,`` Caries Research Jan-Feb. 2000 -- Reference
(3) ``Decline of caries prevalence after the cessation of water fluoridation in the former East Germany,`` Community Dentistry and Oral Epidemiology, October 2000 -- Reference
(4) ``The effects of a break in water fluoridation on the development of dental caries and fluorosis,`` Journal of Dental Research, Feb. 2000 -- Reference
(5) ``Patterns of dental caries following the cessation of water fluoridation,`` Community Dentistry and Oral Epidemiology, February 2001 -- Reference
(6) ``Caries experience of 15-year-old children in The Netherlands after discontinuation of water fluoridation,`` Caries Research, 1993 -- Reference
(7) Benefits and Risks of Water Fluoridation -- Reference
CONTACT: Paul Beeber, President, NYS Coalition Opposed to Fluoridation, 516-433-8882, or firstname.lastname@example.org; or Paul Connett, Ph.D., Professor of Chemistry, St. Lawrence University in Canton, 315-379-9200, or email@example.com, Fluoride Action Network
Tooth decay declined substantially in prevalence and severity when Hong Kong children consumed less fluoride, indicative of a world-wide scientific trend revealing, with fluoride, less is best; none is better.
In 1988, Hong Kong reduced water fluoride levels from 0.7 parts per million (ppm) to 0.5 ppm. By 1995, 31% fewer 11-year-olds had cavities with a 42% reduction in average cavity rates, according to the Hong Kong Public Health Bulletin (1). Similar reductions occurred in 1978 when Hong Kong's fluoridation rates were first cut from 1 ppm to 0.7 ppm (2).
Hong Kong's dental health is superior to the United States' (3), even though U.S. children consume 1 ppm fluoridated water and brush with 1,000 ppm fluoridated toothpaste. And Hong Kong children use lower concentrated (500 ppm) fluoridated toothpaste (4).
Evidence that eliminating fluoridation lessens decay:
* Seven years after fluoridation ended in LaSalud, Cuba, cavities remained low in 6- to 9-year-olds, decreased in 10- to 11-year-olds, and significantly decreased in 12- to 13-year-olds, while caries-free children increased dramatically, according to Caries Research (5).
* East German scientists report, "following the cessation of water fluoridation in the cities Chemnitz . . . and Plauen, a significant fall in caries prevalence was observed," according to Community Dentistry and Oral Epidemiology (6) . . . Surveys in the formerly-fluoridated towns of Spremberg and Zittau found "caries levels for the 12-year-olds of both towns significantly decreased... following the cessation of water fluoridation."
* In British Columbia, Canada, "the prevalence of caries decreased over time in the fluoridation-ended community while remaining unchanged in the fluoridated community," reported in Community Dentistry and Oral Epidemiology (7).
* In 1973, the Dutch town of Tiel stopped fluoridation. Researchers counted decayed, missing, and filled permanent tooth surfaces (DMFS) of Tiel's 15-year olds, then collected identical data from never-fluoridated Culemborg. DMFS rates initially increased in Tiel then dipped to 11% of baseline from 1968/69 to 1987/88 while never-fluoridated Culemborg's 15-year-olds had 72% less cavities over the same period, reports Caries Research (8).
In New York State, cavities and tooth loss are greater in fluoridated rather than in non-fluoridated counties (9). In fact, tooth decay crises exist in most, if not all, large fluoridated U.S. cities (10).
Sometimes stopping fluoridation has no effect as in Kuopio, Finland (11), and Durham, North Carolina (12).
Some countries show lower decay rates in less fluoridated villages when compared to higher fluoridated villages such as in Uganda (13, 14), the Sudan (15) and Ethiopia (15a).
In South Australia, dental examinations of 4800 ten- to fifteen-year-olds' permanent teeth reveal unexpected results - similar cavity rates whether they drink fluoridated water or not (16).
In the United States, despite living without fluoridated water, rural children's cavity rates equal those of urban children, who are more likely to drink fluoridated water, according to a large national government study of over 24,000 U.S. children (17).
And, to add insult to injury, cavity rates doubled (18) after water fluoridation began in Kentucky (19).
(3) Section 8
(15a) Community Dent Oral Epidemiol. 2004 Oct, "The relationship between dental caries and dental fluorosis in areas with moderate- and high-fluoride drinking water in Ethiopia," by Wondwossen F, Astrom AN, Bjorvatn K, Bardsen A.
(17) Journal of Rural Health, Summer 2003, "Oral Health Status of Children and Adolescents by Rural Residence, United States." by Clemencia M. Vargas, DDS, PhD; Cynthia R. Ronzio, PhD; and Kathy L. Hayes, DMD, MPH
(18) "The 2001 Kentucky Childrens Oral Health Survey: findings for children ages 24 to 59 months and their caregivers," Pediatr Dent. 2003 Jul-Aug; 25(4):365-72 by Hardison JD, Cecil JC, White JA, Manz M, Mullins MR, Ferretti GA.
For more information, contact:
posted by Chris Gupta on Thursday March 15 2007
updated on Saturday March 31 2007
URL of this article:
Drinking Water Fluoridation is Genotoxic & Teratogenic
This paper by Prof. Joe Cummins is a very important 5 minute delegation made to London Ontario Canada "Civic Works Committee" public participation meeting on January 25, 2012 on fluoride*. While a bit technical it is short and easy to grasp. A must read as it goes to the heart of the matter regarding the well established toxicity of fluoride which is well in all scientific circles even before water... [read more]
February 06, 2012 - Chris Gupta
Democracy At Work? - PPM On Fluoride
Here is a commentary on the recent (Jan, 25th, 2011) Public Participation Meeting (PPM) on Fluoride in the City of London, Ontario. The meeting started with a strong pro fluoride stance form the City engineer. His lack of knowledge on chemistry of the toxic wastes used to fluoridate water could embarrass even a high school student never mind his own profession. He blatantly violated his "duty to public welfare" as... [read more]
January 29, 2012 - Chris Gupta
Why Remove Fluoride From Phosphate Rock To Make Fertilizer
Here is a bit of history that illustrates why they feed us hydrofluorosilcic acid in our water. Show this to those who ask why should the authorities slow poison us! "One of the main reasons for processing the raw phosphate rock for agricultural purposes is because of the fluoride content – mainly in the form of fluorosilicates/silicon tetrafluoride. Back in the early part of the 20th century when industrial farming... [read more]
June 09, 2011 - Chris Gupta